Areas of Expertise
Click on the links below to find barristers via their area of expertise
- Court of Protection
- Family - Children
- Family - Finance
- Housing and Property
- Human Rights and Public Law
Send to a friend
Family - Children
(Year of Call 2011)
Joined Chambers: 2012
University of Birmingham LLB 2:1 (Hons) 2010
BPP Law School BPTC (Very Competent) 2011
ADR Group Accredited Civil/Commercial Mediator 2011
Matthew has covered the full range of hearings in private law children's cases, from first directions hearings, to fact-finding hearings and contested final hearings. Matthew has experience of appearing before every level of judge in private law matters. Furthermore, he has been instructed to act in connection with the following applications:
- Prohibited Steps Order
- Specific Issue Order
- Special Guardianship Order
- Removal from the jurisdiction
- Enforcement of a contact order
- Declaration of parentage
- Costs against a non-party
- Discharge of Special Guardianship Order
Matthew has also developed an expanding public law practice, encompassing fully contested final hearings, Interim Care Order applications, applications under section 38(6), Emergency Protection Order applications, and applications to discharge care orders. In his public law practice Matthew has acted for Local Authorities, parents, grandparents, and children.
Furthermore, he has written articles on topical issues concerning children cases, including:
- Arbitration in children's cases - a step closer - published in the Resolution Review May/June 2013.
- A recent consideration of expert evidence in care proceedings: Re TG  EWCA Civ 5 (with Dympna Howells).
- Successful family mediation in practice: learning the lessons from Ghana - published in the Resolution Review May/June 2012.
He has also spoken at seminars and lectures on issues in both private and public family law.
Prior to commencing pupillage Matthew spent a number of months working in a family law mediation project in Accra, Ghana.
Birmingham Law School Lady Barber Prize for Mooting 2009
Inner Temple BPTC Exhibition Scholarship Award 2010
Inner Temple Duke of Edinburgh Entrance Award 2010
BPP Law School Outstanding Contribution to Pro Bono Projects Prize 2011