Areas of Expertise
Click on the links below to find barristers via their area of expertise
- Court of Protection
- Family - Children
- Family - Finance
- Housing and Property
- Human Rights and Public Law
Send to a friend
St Ives Chambers’ regulatory team houses ‘capable and knowledgeable' barristers.
Legal 500 2014
‘St Ives Chambers is a ‘very strong regulatory set’; its team has experience in areas such as consumer law (including trading standards), and health and safety’. – Legal 500
‘Members of St Ives Chambers prosecute in health and safety proceedings and trade regulatory matters’. Legal 500
‘Other areas of expertise include health and safety in care homes and regulatory work in the food sector’. Legal 500
At St Ives, delivering a first class service is at the heart of our business. We recognise the importance of working in partnership with our clients to ensure consistent and effective delivery of services from initial instruction until case completion; in the Regulatory team, this translates into accomplished and experienced advocates delivering both proportionate and cost effective advice and advocacy across the full spectrum of Regulatory Criminal and associated Civil proceedings.
Our focus and commitment has meant that the reputation of the Regulatory team continues to grow both locally and nationally, with the team itself and individual members being highly recommended in both the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners. Members are particularly acknowledged for their expertise in Trading Standards and Consumer Protection matters.
The group has a long established history of working with Local Authorities and when acting for those and other public bodies our members are sensitive to their particular requirements including public accountability, transparency, cost-effectiveness, and the need to ensure any enforcement action is in accordance with policies.
Trading Standards/Consumer Protection
• Consumer credit
• Consumer protection
• Counterfeit goods
• Enterprise Act
• Food safety
• Product safety
• Unfair Commercial Practices
• Proceeds of Crime
Cases of Interest:
- Prosecution of two Directors and a Company in respect of a large scale yacht timeshare fraud valued at over £7.5 million.
- Defending a Company and its Managing Director on charges of intentionally exporting weapons grade material to Turkey with an end destination of Iran.
- The prosecution of the United Kingdom’s largest provider of sub-prime loans for offences under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.
- Prosecution of Company and Directors for national food fraud involving the sale of exotic and game meat using stolen certificates of origin across farmers markets throughout the UK.
Health & Safety/Environmental
• Gross Negligence
• Product Safety
• Fire Regulations
• Animal Health
• Noise/Statutory Nuisance
Cases of Interest:
- Prosecution of a Care Home under health & safety legislation, following the death of a resident.
- Acting for the second largest power plant in the United Kingdom after pollutant material had been released into the surrounding suburban area.
- Prosecution of a manufacturing company for breaching section 2 of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999 following the death of an employee.
- Representation of a FTSE 100 Company charged with discharging pollution into a river.
- Acting on behalf of a Housing Association in a prosecution brought under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 following a serious fire at one of its properties.
- Prosecution of Asbestos Management company and its directors for breach of Asbestos Regulations and duties under ss.2-3 HSWA.
Law Several of our barristers have experience in the field of Education law. They act for and against public bodies in the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability), Magistrates and Crown Court; in addition to the higher courts through Judicial Review and Appeal proceedings.
Continued Professional Development
Chambers is a fully certified training provider with a rolling programme of seminars, articles and other legal updates. A number of our members regularly deliver training and talks to legal and other professionals practising in areas of regulatory law.
Clerking & Services
The Regulatory team enjoy the support of an enthusiastic and knowledgeable clerking team. Led by Ross Hands “a very effective clerk, who adopts a down-to-earth, no-nonsense approach”, the clerking team “will bend over backwards to accommodate” our clients’ needs and requirements. They work closely with clients to ensure the highest level of service is provided and maintained.
‘Efficient, personable and first-class service'
Legal 500 2014