Areas of Expertise
Click on the links below to find barristers via their area of expertise
- Court of Protection
- Family - Children
- Family - Finance
- Housing and Property
- Human Rights and Public Law
Send to a friend
Court of Protection
St Ives handle health & welfare and property & affairs matters and are thus able to look at a problem from both sides.
Chambers and Partners 2012
Court of Protection Group
St Ives Chambers' Court of Protection Group is a specialist team of barristers dealing with all areas of mental capacity law and practice in response to the new legal framework and the introduction of the Court of Protection in Birmingham. The Group is one of only a handful in the UK who are able to offer a full service in all areas of law relating to the protection of vulnerable adults, mental capacity and mental health.
Who can refer?
Areas of work include advice, consultancy and representation for:
- local authorities
- social landlords
- health care professionals
- Office of the Public Guardian
- Official Solicitor
- private individuals
What areas of work are covered?
The Group can offer advice and representation relating to:
- Mental Capacity Act 2005 and the relevant Codes of Practice.
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards 2007.
- Mental Health Act 1983 and 2007 (including Mental Health Review Tribunal work).
- Assessments of incapacity and Best Interests decision making for incapacitated persons.
- Detention / Restraint.
- Lasting Powers of Attorney.
- Advance decisions and statements.
- The role of the Public Guardian.
- Applications, practice and procedure in the Court of Protection.
- Judicial review of local authority discharge of community care functions.
- Independent Mental Capacity Advocates (IMCAs).
- Forced marriage.